Rent Arrears

We know that at times our residents may experience financial difficulties, and Willow Tree Housing Partnership (WTHP) is here to help.

It is really important that you contact us as soon as possible if you can't pay your rent, call us on 01934 750780 or go to 'Contact Us' for other ways to get in touch.

If you think you may be entitled to housing benefit, contact your Local Authority and make an application. Be sure to provide all the information needed to assess your claim, otherwise it may be delayed or not paid. Keep us up-to-date with information about your housing benefit claim.

You may be able to make an arrangement with us to pay off any arrears at a rate you can afford. Please complete the Repayment Plan Request online form.

Whatever you do, please don't just ignore the problem, it won't go away.

We have to follow a set of rules when collecting rent and other money owed.  If you do not pay your rent on time you will be in arrears and we will have to take action to collect the money that you owe.  The action we will take is listed below:

  • We will write to you to ask that you either pay the arrears or contact us.
  • Should you contact us and let us know that you cannot pay off the full amount in one go, you will be given an opportunity to catch up with any missed payments by instalment.
  • Failure to contact us or to pay as agreed will result in the serving of a Notice Seeking Possession on you; this is the first step to WTHP taking you to Court.
  • If you continue to withhold payment, we will take you to Court.  The Court will order you to pay Court Costs as well as the rent arrears you owe.
  • If you still do not pay after the Court Hearing, you may be asked to leave your home.  If you move out while you owe money, you will still have to pay the money that you owe.

Remember, you will always be given the chance to pay the money you owe.  If you stay in touch with us, we will try to provide you with the support that you need to resolve the problem, and help you keep your home.

There are external agencies who may be able to assist you and give you advice and support, please see the 'More Help and Advice' section below.